FEATURED DERM TOPIC: DRY SKIN
Ready or not here it comes – cold weather and dry skin…but this winter can be different if you follow these simple recommendations:
- When bathing, warm water – NOT hot – is preferred. The hotter the water the drier the skin can get – especially this time of year.
- Keep it short – meaning the shorter you are in the water bathing, the better.
- Use a mild emollient-based soap like Dove – skip the deodorant or fragranced body washes.
- Apply your soap product directly to your skin with your hands – no bath net, loofah, or even wash cloth. Those implements rub off your dead skin cell layer too quickly and takes your natural oil layer off that you definitely need this time of year!
- When you get out of the shower or bath PAT dry – leaving your skin a little damp. Then slather on a moisturizer like Eucerin or Cetaphil or CeraVe – the more basic the moisturizer the better! This locks in the moisture and helps you retain it longer.
- Apply your moisturizer frequently – 2-3 times a day helps keep the dry skin away!
- A cream is preferred over a lotion – if it comes in a pump then it’s water based and a lotion. Creams are thicker and greasier therefore giving you maximum moisture.
- Bathe less…I know that sounds crazy but it’s true! Your whole body doesn’t need cleaned every day – and over cleaning sets your skin up for failure. You can sponge bathe and hit the high sweat areas when you need to as those areas DO need frequent cleaning but try bathing every other day or even every 3rd day this time of year.
If you follow these 8 simple steps this winter (or even SOME of them) believe us your skin will thank you!
Featured product: Zerafite Barrier Repair Moisturizer
Ideal for dry, sensitive skin, Zerafite Barrier Repair Moisturizer reduces skin irritation and reinforces the skin’s barrier to help maintain moisture levels. Fortified with plant based ceramides, fatty acids, and cholesterol that mimic the components found naturally in the skin, this daily moisturizer leaves skin smooth, soft and comfortable and it protects against environmental aggressors. Suited for most skin types especially in the drier, colder months.