PREPARING FOR TREATMENT FOR MELANOMA SKIN CANCER REMOVAL IN LANSDALE, PA
Posted By: Aradhna Saxena, M.D. | Published On: Apr 12, 2018 | Melanoma Treatment
Although an outpatient procedure, Mohs surgery still requires you to follow certain preparation steps and precautions. Choose an experienced Mohs surgeon skilled in modified Mohs surgery for melanoma skin cancer removal in Lansdale, PA.
The following guidelines can help you ensure the best possible outcome.
Two Weeks Prior to the Surgery
Smoking obstructs the healing process. It is, therefore, possible for the Mohs surgeon to ask smokers to abstain for a minimum of two weeks before and after surgery.
It is also recommended to avoid certain drugs, if not prescribed, for a minimum of two weeks before and after surgery as that can cause excessive bleeding. A few of those drugs are ibuprofen, aspirin or products that contain aspirin, and naproxen. However, Tylenol or acetaminophen is not harmful to consume, if needed.
One Week Prior to the Surgery
To prevent increased blood pressure and bleeding, it is possible for the Mohs surgeon to recommend you not to take the following items in a week prior to your surgery: Garlic, Ginseng, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Fish Oil, and other herbal supplements.
24 Hours Prior to the Surgery
To prevent increased blood pressure and bleeding, it is recommended not to consume alcohol for a minimum of 24 hours prior to and after the surgery.
WE ARE HERE TO HELPCall Our Fort Washington Office: (215) 392-6680 or Lansdale Office: (215) 392-6636 For More Information
SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT ONLINE
On the Surgery Day
On the surgery day, the surgeon’s office may suggest you:
- Avoid applying makeup if you are getting the surgery on your face
- Take a shower, wash your hair, and clean the treatment area to mitigate any risk of infection.
- Have a usual breakfast
- Consume all recommended or planned medications including diabetes, blood pressure, and cholesterol drugs (unless otherwise directed by the doctor). In addition, bring a supply of each for the day when you visit.
- Bring snacks and a newspaper or a book to pass time – you might have to spend minimum three to four hours during the morning and early afternoon, though the duration of the procedure depends upon the tumor’s location, size, and complexity
- Wear loose-fitting, comfortable, and warm clothing
- Try to bring a friend or relative with you
Timely treatment from an experienced Mohs surgeon for melanoma skin cancer removal in Lansdale, PA can help eliminate the disease.